Saturday, March 21, 2009

library hall of shame: dead links on the ALA website

I'm sorry, ALA, I am sick of your dead links, and I'm calling you out. Yes, your website redesign was a good idea (even if your new look is a bit sterile for my tastes). But, hello? What's with all of the dead links?

I am sick of all of the external dead links I'm getting from my professors and colleagues sending me to your site. Yes, I'm a MLIS candidate who knows her way around a search engine, and many pages are easily located. But what's with all of the dead links still cluttering your in-site navigation? Like this one, and this one, and this one, on this page. (I should add that I eventually found the articles I was looking for, but not through ALA's search function. I had to use (gasp!) Google.)

And, could you, like, throw us a bone...or site map?

As librarians, don't you have an obligation to make information accessible? For shame!

2 comments:

Kristi(e) said...

Oh man! I know exactly what you mean! I have the same problem with SCILS! Finding a job is hard enough without having to put up with this shiz:

http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/placement/links.jsp

Unknown said...

You go girl!!